The Flood Of 1920-Palm Sunday (March 28th, 1920) Manistique, MI-The most catastrophic event to occur in Manistique other than the fire of 1883 was the flood of 1920. Floodwaters began pouring over the flume walls in the early morning of Palm Sunday, March 28, 1920. The immediate cause of the flood was an ice jam on the Driggs River that backed the river up. When the jam broke, the water and logs in the river rushed into the Manistique River. Since the winter had an exceptional snowfall along with warmer than normal temperatures and several days of rain, the rivers draining into the Manistique River were already swollen. With the torrent of water, a west bank wall broke, causing water to rush over the flume walls and into the west side of Manistique all the way down Deer Street and Chippewa Avenue.
The Hiawatha Post Office was active from 1897 to 1941. It was located 11 miles north of Manistique on the Manistique and Northwestern Railroad. Civil War veteran Francis G. Dodge was the postmaster in 1905. Frank Hutt was serving as postmaster in 1915 and Hiawatha’s final postmaster was Ezra Aldrich. The post office closed permanently on January 31, 1941.
Car Ferry “turtled”
Ann Arbor car ferry No. 4 sinks
in the slip Saturday evening.
Twenty-four cars wrecked
Loss will greatly exceed $100,000
The apron was also damaged.
The Ann Arbor car ferry No. 4, while being loaded at this port Saturday night turned turtle and went to the bottom of the slip, port side downward. It contained 24 cars, loaded with iron ore, in all about 1,200 tons.
The ferry, which is constructed of steel, is 270 feet over all and 52 feet beam, is in command of Capt. Fred Robertson, and Thos. Hardkins is chief engineer. The crew numbered twenty four men and Mrs. Wilson, cabin maid and her daughter, Miss Wilson, waitress.