Source: Manistique Pioneer Tribune, December 28, 1906, p. 1.
Barring the fire of 1893, Manistique was visited by the most destructive fire in its history last Tuesday afternoon in the destruction of Rose Bros. magnificent business block with its entire contents as well as the possessions of the numerous tenants occupying the flats above.
The loss is roughly estimated at $75,000 of which Mr. Rose’s share is $70,000.
The fire had its inception in the furnace room, and was not discovered until 2 o’clock owing to the fact that the store was closed at noon for the day. Mr. Pease, one of the tenants in the flat above the store discovered smoke issuing from the room occupied by E. W. Angell, and notified Mr. F. W. Dowker who also lived on the same floor. The Angell apartments were opened and it was ascertained that the smoke was coming from the store room. Judge Knox, another tenant, turned in an alarm. When the department reached the scene the store room was filled with dense smoke, making it impossible for the firemen to reach the cause of the trouble.