Lazarus Rosenthal – Dry Goods & Clothing Merchant

Circa 1904-06 image of Rosenthals Clothing Store  (last two awnings far right)

Circa 1904-06 image of Rosenthal’s Clothing Store (last two awnings far right)

           Lazarus Rosenthal was born on November 4, 1874 in Syracuse, New York to Saul and Celia (Rubenstein) Rosenthal. He came to Manistique in 1895 and operated a dry goods store for four years under the name of Rosenthal & Blumrosen. Rosenthal married Rachael Blumrosen in a Jewish ceremony in Detroit, Michigan on January 28, 1898.

            Becoming sole owner of Rosenthal’s Clothing Store in 1899, he remained in business in Manistique for 27 years. In February of 1926, he sold the clothing store to Henry Neville and W. J. Raredon. The Rosenthal building later housed the Lauerman Department Store. While in business in Manistique, Rosenthal was active in civic affairs and a great booster for Manistique and Schoolcraft County. Read More...

Peter Zimmerman’s Cigar Factory – Est. 1891

Peter Zimmerman standing behind the counter of his Cigar Factory Shop. Lyle Kotchen Collection

Peter Zimmerman standing behind the counter of his Cigar Factory Shop. Lyle Kotchen Collection

        Peter Zimmerman was born in Rauenberg, Germany on May 18, 1861.  As a young man, he learned the art of cigar making in his father Henry’s factory, in his home town of Rauenberg. In 1883, Peter emigrated from Germany to New York where he found employment in the cigar industry.  From New York, Zimmerman moved first to Ohio, then to Kenosha, Wisconsin. While living in Kenosha in 1890, Mr. Zimmerman met and married Mamie Gales. The couple came to Manistique in 1891, where Zimmerman opened a very successful cigar factory. Mr. Zimmerman was a skilled and prosperous businessman who was extremely popular and well respected in the community. Read More...

Currans Buy Ossa Hotel – Escanaba Daily Press March 21, 1959

5185191331_3b19e4e180

Manistique – The Ossawinamakee Hotel in Manistique, regarded at the plushest in the area following its construction in 1883 has been sold by Carl Graves to Curran Chevrolet Sales here.

The hotel purchase was concluded Friday night by Graves and the three members of the Curran Partnership, Ellsworth, Leon and Donald Curran.   Plans for use of the building are indefinite.  Graves had owned the 42 -room wood structure the past nine years.  It houses a bar, restaurant and a Western Union office in addition to the hotel facilities. Read More...