Civilian Conservation Corp – Camp Steuben (1933-1937)

Interior view of Barracks No. 3 at Camp Steuben. The barracks measured 20’ by 112’. Photo courtesy Vivian Haight.

        President Franklin Roosevelt’s Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) was inaugurated on April 17, 1933 with the opening of Camp Roosevelt in the George Washington National Forest in Virginia. The program was designed to employ over 250,000 young men out of work during the Great Depression.

          Camp Steuben in Schoolcraft County opened only 17 days later on May 4, 1933. The first recruits went through a two-week orientation at Camp Custer near Battle Creek, before heading north to the Upper Peninsula. One hundred and forty-one men from Custer were assigned to Camp Steuben and 212 others headed to Camp Kentucky in Alger County. Their journey was delayed five hours while waiting for a ferry to cross the Straits of Mackinac. Camp Steuben received additional recruits from Fort Sheridan in Illinois. Read More...

August Klagstad – Altar Artist

August Klagstad 1866-1949

August Klagstad 1866-1949

           Reared in a remote Upper Peninsula lumbering settlement, August Klagstad toiled in the mill piling pine slabs. But the high-pitched whine of the big saws could not drown out his dreams for a brighter future. When he exchanged his leather work gloves for brushes and a palette of oils—an artist emerged. A faithful Lutheran, Klagstad specialized in religious paintings. Today, Klagstad’s altar paintings can be found in churches throughout the United States. His “sermons on canvas” have inspired generations of worshipers in Michigan and across the nation. Read More...

Julius Larson – Pioneer Woodsman & Merchant

The City Meat Market was  opened in 1899. It stood on Oak Street next to the Barnes Hotel. In the above photo, posters can be seen in the widows advertising coming attractions at the opera house.

The City Meat Market was opened in 1899. It stood on Oak Street next to the Barnes Hotel. In the above photo, posters can be seen in the windows advertising coming attractions at the opera house.

           Julius Larson was born in Vastergotland, Sweden on June 20, 1868. He immigrated to the United States in 1888 and arrived in Manistique on April 3, 1888 at age 19. He was employed with Frank N. Cookson’s crew, working in the woods. In 1893 he traveled back to his native Sweden for a visit. Returning to Manistique in 1894, he continued his employment with Frank Cookson in the woods.

            Larson left Cookson’s employment in 1899 and opened the City Meat Market in partnership with Albert Gustafson. The first customers at the store were Margaret Curley, Mrs. A. S. Putnam and Mrs. Virgil Hixson. Paddy Hunt was hired as the first delivery boy. Read More...