The Schoolcraft Historical Society shall collect, preserve and perpetuate the historic heritage of Schoolcraft County, Michigan, and of the records of the early settlers of the County and of the families of Schoolcraft County people and of the churches, schools and other institutions, and to arouse in the friends and citizens of the county an interest in its history; to encourage the love of local history in the youth of the County; to foster and support investigation, study and research into the historical information pertaining to the County; to publish, and disseminate historical information; and to encourage the preservation of historical sites and structures. The Schoolcraft County Historical Society Webpage was created to promote public awareness, understanding, and appreciation for Schoolcraft County’s history and traditions.
Schoolcraft County’s county seat is Manistique in which was founded in 1860 making Manistique one of the oldest cities in the Upper Peninsula. Charles T. Harvey who built the Sault St. Marie Locks built a dam to supply waterpower to a small sawmill on the Monistique River in 1860. Charles Harvey then named the community Epsport after his wife’s family name. Schoolcraft County was not organized until 1871 and included Alger County with the county seat being Onota (located between Munising and Christmas). Finally, in 1879, the county seat was moved to Epsport after Onota burned down. In 1885, the boundaries of Schoolcraft County were redrawn without Alger County and remain the same today. When the township of Monistique was organized an ‘a’ was substituted for an ‘o’ so Monistique became Manistique at that time.