The George F. Fuller Post, No. 257 – Grand Army of The Republic
The Fuller Grand Army of the Republic Post was organized in Schoolcraft County on June 16th, 1884. This fraternity was open to honorably discharged veterans who had served in the Union Army during the American Civil War (1861-1865). The G.A.R. post in Manistique was named after George F. Fuller. Mr. Fuller served with the 45th Pennsylvania Infantry and was enlisted into Co. E as a Private on November 13, 1864. He was discharged on July 17, 1865 at Alexandria, Virginia. Mr. Fuller moved to Michigan with his family after the war and eventually settled in Schoolcraft County. He died in 1875. At the time of the organization of the Fuller GAR post, Mr. Fuller was the only soldier buried in the Lakeview Cemetery.