The Hiawatha Post Office was active from 1897 to 1941. It was located 11 miles north of Manistique on the Manistique and Northwestern Railroad. Civil War veteran Francis G. Dodge was the postmaster in 1905. Frank Hutt was serving as postmaster in 1915 and Hiawatha’s final postmaster was Ezra Aldrich. The post office closed permanently on January 31, 1941.
Car Ferry “turtled”
Ann Arbor car ferry No. 4 sinks
in the slip Saturday evening.
Twenty-four cars wrecked
Loss will greatly exceed $100,000
The apron was also damaged.
The Ann Arbor car ferry No. 4, while being loaded at this port Saturday night turned turtle and went to the bottom of the slip, port side downward. It contained 24 cars, loaded with iron ore, in all about 1,200 tons.
The ferry, which is constructed of steel, is 270 feet over all and 52 feet beam, is in command of Capt. Fred Robertson, and Thos. Hardkins is chief engineer. The crew numbered twenty four men and Mrs. Wilson, cabin maid and her daughter, Miss Wilson, waitress.
River Street to Watertower dated mid 1920’s-in what appears to be the dedication to the monument before the Siphon Bridge. The ever familiar landmark Manistique Water Tower (in the background) was completed in 1922 in which stands 137 feet high.